Saturday 19 November 2011

Kuwaiti girls use mobile phone while driving

More women use mobile phones while driving than men, a local study conducted on motorists’ use of mobile phones revealed. The study showed that 62.5 percent of women talk over mobile phones or send text messages while at the helm of their vehicles compared to 37.5 men.

This study was conducted by a research team from the Kuwait Society for Traffic Safety last month. More than 100,000 vehicle users were surveyed in this study, in which important traffic issues considered the root cause of car accidents were also identified.

Both men and women, citizens and expatriates, drove 100,000 cars in a month across different areas in Kuwait regardless of the traffic situation. According to the study, women aged between 18 and 35 used mobile phones the most while driving, especially sending text messages or chatting through the BlackBerry, IPhone.

I drive a lot and I have noticed that most women use mobile phones during driving. Women glued to their phones concentrate less on driving which leads to car accidents. I don’t use the phone while driving, though there are times when I use the device hands free. I witnessed an accident that was caused by a woman spoke over phone and failed to concentrate. She wanted to take an exit road from the Fifth Ring Road while she was in the left lane. The car hit her vehicle, It’s really dangerous,” Abdulridha,
a 50-year- old citizen told the Kuwait Times.

Women do not fully agree with the study’s findings. “I think that this percentage is fabricated because I think most people use mobile phones while driving. I see men and women using the phone while driving. I do use the phone while driving but when I do, I always try to use the device hands free. I try to take only really important calls. I know I shouldn’t be doing it but I am trying to stop. It’s just so hard,” stated Linda a 27-year- old Canadian.

Fatma, a 29-year- old Kuwaiti believes that the statistics released are not accurate. “I agree that many people in Kuwait use mobile phones while driving. I see that men have this bad habit more so than women. My brother met with an accident because he used the phone while driving. I don’t use the mobile phone when I drive. Everything has it’s time. So I wait till I reach the place and then call back . If it is really urgent , I stop by the side of the road and make my call,” she noted.

For many the act of sending text messages while driving is more dangerous, “I never send text message while driving. Here, you not only reduce concentration, you deviate your attention from the road to look at the screen of your mobile phone, and accidents usually happen within seconds. I always see women and men using mobile phones while driving. They may harm the innocent as well,” stressed Noof, a 24-year- old woman.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...